Friday 27 September 2013

A Sapsan train

April 2013
 
Sapsan trains, Moscow, 2013. 
Most people probably fly from Moscow to Saint Petersburg, but I chose another way, the Sapsan high speed train.  It travelled at a speed of 250 kilometres an hour, taking around five hours to get to the destination.  It was not just a matter of saving time, the railway stations are in the centre of cities, so it is more convenient.  I had also heard that on domestic flights every single piece of luggage would be opened for security.  I also heard that people have claimed their possessions got lost after they had checked in their luggage. 
 
Although the train is convenient, I was confused by the name of the stations; the station in Moscow is called Saint Petersburg and the one in Saint Petersburg is called Moscow. 
 
The name of the station in Moscow, 2013.
Both stations were very similar and simple.  I went through the entrance, passed the security check, and now onto a long platform, where I found my carriage.  An inspector told us to wait in front of the door and I joined the queue.  While I was waiting, a group of Russian came and waited next to my carriage and chatted with the inspector.  Later on, he let them get on the train first even though we got there earlier.  I suppose that because they spoke the same language. 
 
After I got into the train, I wanted to go to the toilet, which was in the next carriage, where the Russian were .  Half of them were busy taking care of their luggage.  Others were standing in the corridor, waiting for their seats.  There were two doors to go into the toilets, but they were block by people leaning against them.  I was wondering how to get in, where a man dressed as a cowboy, that standing at the end of the group, suddenly turned to look at me and then said something with a grin which I did not understand.  Not knowing what to do, I wanted to go back to my seat.  At the same time, he asked me where I wanted to go, I told him and pointed to the toilet.  He spoke to his friends in a loud voice, stepped aside and pushed me forwards.  They stopped talking and laughing and turned to look at me.  The man kept talking until one or two ladies stood aside and let me in. 
 
After this happened, I did not dare to go to the buffet car or stretch my legs when the train stopped at a station.  I felt I was in somebody else's train, I had better sit tight. 

 
 
The train normally travelled around a speed of 200 kms./hr,
from Moscow, 2013.
 

The Sapsan train system map, from Moscow, 2013. 

One of the stations during the route, from Moscow, 2013. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment